Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Decisions

So I have been thinking lately about staying in school till summer for a couple of different reasons.

First being that I need to spend some more time with the people that care about me and that don’t want me to leave like my mom and couple of my good friends. My decision to join was a surprise to all of these people. I didn’t tell anyone I was thinking about it, because they would have shot me down early on. I now realize what I’m putting this people through because someone close to me almost broke down and started to cry because I’ll be leaving for good, and not coming back. My other reason isn’t quite as thoughtful.

Second I’m sucking up all of the time I can with girls because in the marines the girl to guy ratio is about 1/6. This is really the only thing that makes me second think the armed forces.

On the subject of armed forces in general, my reply to money maker is not to get the Marines and the Army mixed up. That’s like a slap in the face to anyone that is a Marine, and the Marine that hears you will correct you on the spot. With that said I have respect for anyone that services their country, but I have much more respect for Rangers, Seals, and Marines. For anyone who didn’t know, the main four different branches of armed forces are Air Force, Navy, Army, and Marine Corp but if you want to get technical the Marines is a department of the Navy. The subject of my reputation doesn’t matter because most people that join are people that have no other way out of their crapy little town, so they join the service to be able to amount to something without a college education. And about my leg, if I can’t handle my own training those D.I.s (drill instructors) are going to tear me apart. So I think I will just deal with it till boot camp is over.

5 comments:

zx6rider said...

I think it would be very thoughtful of you to stay to spend time with those special people. I moved once in my life to New Jersey because I just needed to break away for a while. It was really good for me but it killed my family. Just make sure that you stay in touch with these people as much as possible and i'm sure everything will be alright. Good Luck.

KOE said...

I like your decision take it slow. People around you would be worried sick about you if you join and go to unfamilier place.

dearthvader said...

enjoy all the time with your friends and family. my two best friends from high school joined the marines, and i haven't seen them too much. i have seen the one only twice in over two years. the other i have seen more often, and he actually is going to main campus now. he is apparently going to be an officer, but he is married now, and his wife keeps him locked down more than the marines. so i still don't see him that often, but enjoy all the time you can with your friends and family.

JKA said...

I have a few friends that went into the Special Forces. Are you considering a position in the Army Rangers, or Navy Seals? I’ve heard some pretty intense stories from both branches.

Cap'n Fatback said...

BWD--

Good, although I would suggest keeping to one topic per blog post. The genre is very organized. I also suggest that unless it prompts a large enough response for a new post, you respond to previous comments in the comment thread they came from. You could certainly expand your discussions of the people you would miss and the struggle of leaving behind the life of romance.

I think you mean "think twice" instead of "second think."